Papers by Nikolay Николай Tuleshkov Тулешков
Статията разглежда семантиката и типологичните инвенции в областта на средновековните тератологи... more Статията разглежда семантиката и типологичните инвенции в областта на средновековните тератологични изображения през българското средновековие от църковната архитектурна среда - архитектурни елементи, каменна пластика, дърворезба..

The Great Ottoman Architect Sinan and the "Mustafa Pasha Bridge" in Svilengrad, 2024
The Great Ottoman Architect Sinan and the "Mustafa Pasha Bridge" in Svilengrad
The most significa... more The Great Ottoman Architect Sinan and the "Mustafa Pasha Bridge" in Svilengrad
The most significant of the three main state road tracks of the Ottoman Empire in Europe, since the annexation of the Eastern Balkans, was, after centuries, once again the ancient military highway Via Militaris. Under the name Tsarigradski Drum (Turkish: Stambol Yolu), it connected the newly conquered territories with the central parts of the continent. Since this road led westward in the direction of the Ottoman expansionist ambitions, it began to be systematically improved with a network of road stations (menzilhanes) and infrastructure, primarily bridges. This sustained administrative activity became particularly intense at the beginning of the 16th century and reached its peak around the middle of the century. Even the chief imperial architects were directly involved in implementing the planned construction projects. Thus, the great imperial chief architect (mimar) Sinan bin Abdullah built several of the most significant bridges along this route. Among the largest were those in present-day Istanbul (in the Büyükçekmece district) and Svilengrad.
According to Sinan’s biographer, Sai Mustafa Çelebi, Sinan himself listed a total of ten bridges as his own work. Any other bridges attributed to him in scholarly literature are unsubstantiated, as he did not mention them to his biographer. Furthermore, even his smallest architectural works—such as fountains, mausoleums, and other structures—are meticulously documented. The Svilengrad Bridge is unquestionably one of his works. It is listed as the third of his eight stone bridges under the name “Over the Maritsa River, Mustafa Pasha Bridge” (Meriç Suyi üzerinde Mustafâ Paşa Köprüsi), and it appears twice more in the text.
As recorded in the inscription (kitabe) on the Svilengrad Bridge, mounted on a large tarih (measuring 6 meters high and 4.4 meters wide) at the center of the structure, construction was completed in the year 935 of the Hijra (1528/9). However, given the scale of the bridge (295 meters in length and up to 6.3 meters in width), as well as the difficult marshy terrain, which made construction challenging, it is estimated that the building process lasted at least two or even three years, with a documented temporary halt. The article examines aspects of Sinan’s military and architectural practices to more precisely determine the construction period, concluding that it spanned from approximately 1526/7 to 1528/9. A hypothesis is proposed that Sinan may have completed or rebuilt an earlier unfinished structure. This previous construction effort could have been initiated by the then-chief imperial architect, Acem Ali bin Abdülkerim, a Janissary of Safavid (Persian) origin, who held the position from around 1521/2 until his death in 1538/9. The hypothesis suggests that Sinan reconstructed the bridge on the old foundations. A similar case is seen with the “Gatekeeper’s Bridge” (Kapı Ağası Köprüsü, today Harâmidere Köprüsü) over the Haramidere stream in what is now the Beylikdüzü district of Istanbul. This bridge, originally Roman from the 6th century, was restored between the 9th and 13th centuries and later rebuilt by Sinan, mainly in its central sections.
The Svilengrad Bridge is examined in the context of its descriptions and measurements recorded by various Western European scholars and diplomats between the 16th and 19th centuries. According to local historian Mihail Popnikolov’s research, the riverbed between the two abutments was reinforced with a “30-meter-wide strip upstream and a 50-meter-wide layer of small stones placed on solid ground, covered with large stone blocks secured with iron clamps and bonded with lead”.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the bridge suffered serious damage due to a severe flood. British writer John Galt, in his 1809 travel diary, noted: "The Hebrus (Maritsa), which was recently crossed here by a magnificent stone bridge with 19 arches, suffered the collapse of some of its arches around two years ago (circa 1806/7) due to a flood, and now the bridge is in ruins." Photogrammetric analysis, however, indicates that five arches were actually destroyed, though one original arch remained intact. It is likely that two successive incidents caused this damage—one in 1766 and a more severe collapse in 1806/7. The first may have been a minor issue that was poorly repaired in 1790, leading to the subsequent major collapse. Records indicate that two dates were inscribed on the parapet’s stone plates: 1809–1812 and 1828–1829, signifying two successive repair efforts. The first might have involved the installation of a wooden deck or an unsuccessful stone reconstruction, while the second successfully restored the bridge to its present form.
As a result of these repairs, three fallen arches on one side were replaced by two large new arches resting on a broad support. On the opposite side, where two old arches had collapsed, a single larger arch was constructed, with its heels resting on two massive new abutments.
According to modern studies, the bridge is 295 meters long and approximately 6 meters wide, with 17 visible arches. However, because the 1828/9 repair replaced five collapsed arches with four of varying shapes, it can be inferred that the visible section corresponds to the original 18 arches. It is also known that some arches remain buried at both riverbanks. Designed in Sinan’s characteristic style, the bridge features sharply pointed cutwaters on the upstream side and multi-faceted ones on the downstream side. Both types are topped with tall pyramidal caps, which significantly improve the structure’s resistance to high waters—an element absent from Ottoman bridges of the 15th and early 16th centuries. This design innovation became more widespread only after Sinan established the Janissary architectural corps upon becoming chief imperial architect. Further research is needed on the origin of these elevated cutwaters, but it is highly likely that Sinan invented them during the construction of the Svilengrad Bridge. He later applied them to other bridges, such as his famous Büyükçekmece Bridge (in the present-day Büyükçekmece district of Istanbul, built between 1564 and 1567/8), the largest bridge of the Ottoman Empire.

Предантични антични и средновековни главни пътища и краипътна инфраструктура от териториите между София и Адрианопол, ІV век пр. Христа - краят на ХІХ век. С., 2023, 2023
Книгата представлява изследване върху историята и архитектурата на част от римската военна магист... more Книгата представлява изследване върху историята и архитектурата на част от римската военна магистрала "Виа Милитарис" свързваща Рим с Константинопол и от там с Мала Азия. Отделя се внимание на основните трасета между София и Адрианопол, както и напречните им пътища тръгвещи от два пътни възела при Траянов проход, в посока към "Виа Егнация" и пристанищата на Бяло море. Втората част от изследването проучва състоянието на този път и неговата инфраструктура през средновековието, по времето на трите големи европейски империи - Византийската, Българската и Османската.
Частта от този труд която се публикува тук, касае османските пътни станции (мензилханета), с тяхните кюлиета от Кервансараи, ханове, имарети и мостове, в участъка на "Цариградския друм" (средновековното наименование на "Виа Милитарис"), между Пълдин (Филипополис, дн. Пловдив) и Адрианополис (дн. Одрин, тур. Едирне).
Училище за майстори, 1996
Статията е посветена на 100-годишнината на Художествената академия в София, основана с указ през ... more Статията е посветена на 100-годишнината на Художествената академия в София, основана с указ през 1896 година, като така лелеяното от Николай Павлович "Рисувално училище". Трудът изследва историята на изграждането на неговата сграда, проектирана от арх. Смирнов за проведения през 1905 година конкурс. Проследена е и част от по-нататъшната строителна история от територията на академията.
Беленският мост. , 2023
Статията изследва историята и архитектурните особености на един уникален мост от Северна България... more Статията изследва историята и архитектурните особености на един уникален мост от Северна България, дело на архитект Никола Фичев от Дряновския строителен център в Централна Стара Планина. Архитектониката му представлява явление в областта на мостовото строителство от периода ХVІІІ - ХІХ век в световен мащаб.
Още от края на ХІХ век епредизвикал интерес сред европейските учени. Специален доклад за него е изнесен например в Мадрид от испанският географ Сатурнино Хименес, отбелязан е специално и от известния западноевропейски историк Феликс Каниц.В контекста на изследването са разгледани и други мостове от същото време дело на самият Никола Фичев и на арх. Генчо Кънев, който е участвал при строежа на Беленския мост, по време на неговото фундиране.
The Historical Architectural typology “Black Sea house” in the Context of Wooden houses from Eastern Europe and implementation of a Theoretical project for the Renovation of a sample in the conditions of restoration and socialization, 2022

Concerning a bridge built in the beginning of the 2nd century, over the river Strymon (Struma), to Ulpia Pautalia (Kyustendil), on the Roman road starting on the eastern side of the Pass of Succi (Pass of Trajan) to the Adriatic and Rome, – In: Proceedings International Scientific Conference Pres..., 2023
The report is a scientific study of an unknown Roman bridge from the beginning of the 2nd century... more The report is a scientific study of an unknown Roman bridge from the beginning of the 2nd century, from the infrastructure of the main imperial road directly connecting "Via Militaris" (today also called "Via Diagonalis") with the military port near the city of Lissus (Italian: Alessio, modern: Leža, Albania) on the Dalmatian coast of the Adriatic Sea and from there through the port of the city of Brindizium (modern-day Brindisi) to Rome. Several of the great Roman bridges along this route are also indicated.
The bridge was located next to Ulpia Pautalia (now Kyustendil) and crossed the river Strymon (present-day Struma) in close proximity to a Roman road station. Around 1900, the historian Yordan Ivanov studied and measured the remains of the abutments of this bridge, and published the results in 1906 in one of his books.
According to this photographing, it is the five-arch construction typical of Roman bridges with two bank and four river abutments, with roadways that descended quite steeply to the two river banks from the top above the center of the middle arch. Its characteristic is unique with a width of 9m, and side arches of 12m. The only other bridge in Europe with such an anomaly is "Ponte Alconetar" over the Tegus River on the route of Via de la Plata, today in the Extremadura region of Spain, considered the work of the imperial architect of Trajan and Hadrian - the brilliant Syrian Apollodorus of Damascus. Since he was building the bridge over the Danube at the time when Emperor Trajan issued his decree declaring Pautalia a city, he most likely commissioned his architect to build some of his structures, including the bridge.
HISTORICAL NOTES AND ARCHITECTONIC SPECIFICS OF KADY (KADIN) BRIDGE CONSTRUCTED 1469/70, OVER STRUMA RIVER NEAR KYUSTENDIL, 2022
During the 14th and 15th centuries the expanding Ottoman Empire
conquered new lands in South-Eas... more During the 14th and 15th centuries the expanding Ottoman Empire
conquered new lands in South-Eastern Europe. As they needed a working road
infrastructure for their military plans, they continued taking care of the restoration
and construction of structures along the routes of utmost importance. Among these is
the Kady (Kadin) Bridge over the Struma River built in 1469/1470. It is believed to
have been built by the Islamized Christian Ishak Pasha, although the authorship
issue has not yet been resolved. Architecturally, the bridge utilizes several different
techniques uncharacteristic of the artisans of the time. The origin of the bridge has
yet to be discovered.

Още за "Болярската къща" в Мелник.
Статията анализира и доказва, че известната в науката "Болярска къща", не е построена като жилищн... more Статията анализира и доказва, че известната в науката "Болярска къща", не е построена като жилищна сграда, а представлява страноприемница от ХІІІ - ХІV век. Пристроена е към съществуваща жилищна кула, датирана условно към Х век. Страноприемницата е неправилно определена като къща, несъмненно въз основа на нейната реконструкция от ХVІІІ век. Едно важно потвърждение на тезата ми за нейната функционална принадлежност, са резултатите от разкопки осъществени в последно време от проф. Виолета Нешева които установиха вътре в сградата голямо количество трапезна керамика от ХІV век.
Освен това за десетилетията изминали от публикуването на тази статия, установих и публикувах няколко средновековни български еднопространствени страноприемници - в Калякра, Търново, Ловеч и пр.
Статията подробно изследва архитектурата на постройката давайки мотивирани заключения относно нейните типология и функционалност.
Български строители и строителни центрове през средновековието. - В: Архитектурното изкуство на старите българи, том 1, Средновековие, С., 2001, 139 - 146
Архитектура на Волжка България. - В: Архитектурни четения 2007 - 2008, С., 2011, 57-68 , 2011
Черквата "Успение Пресветия Богородици" в град Търговище, 2002
Анализира се архитектониката на една от най-значимите български възрожденски черкви и се проследя... more Анализира се архитектониката на една от най-значимите български възрожденски черкви и се проследява част от творчеството на нейния създател архитектон Димитър Сергюв от дюлгерското село Бочуковци, Дряновско, преселил се в град Трявна. Проследяват се и се анализират исторически свидетелства за времето и мястото. Разкриват се участията на инж. Фурлани и тревненския първомайстор Генчо Новаков в изграждането на храмовата камбанария в края на ХІХ век.
В статията автора публикува реконструктивен план на черквата изработен въз основа на негово архитектурно заснемане и изучаване на оригиналната структура.

Поствъзрожденският храм "Св. Николай Мирликийски" в град Рила. - Паметници Реставрация Музеи, кн. 1-2, 2012, 156-167, 2012
Статията представлява едно изследване върху историята, архитектурата, църковния мобилиар, иконопи... more Статията представлява едно изследване върху историята, архитектурата, църковния мобилиар, иконопистта и стенописите на енорийският храм на град Рила, изграден от 1884 до 1885 година от майстор Стоянчо Костадинов, син на преселника в Рила, от село Светля, Радомирско, Костадин Мутафчиев. В периода 1891-1892 година сводовете са реконструирани съгласно проект подписан от градския архитект на Дупница Матиа(ш/с) Каттерл (чех или австрийски немец).
В храма се съхранява владишкия трон изработен през 1819 година от архитектон (устабаши) Алекси Рилец за средновековната черква "Св. архан. Михаил". Иконостасните царски, а и част от останалите икони са дело на Никола Образописов от 1885 година, което е стрикно записано в неговия тефтер за поръчки ("Счетникъ"). От 1892 година работата е продължена от реканския зограф Алексо Василев от Галичник., като през същата година Василев изработва и редица дарствени стенописи. Поради лошото им състояние не стана ясно кой е автора на стенописите по фасадите и новите кубета, но въз основа на опитния рисунък и стилистиката на орнаментиката, това най-вероятно е самоковски зограф.
В храма се съхраняваха и икони от средновековния градски храм, като една от тях принадлежала на иконостаса му, е датирана в 1717 година. Друга вградена в проскенетарий-"Св. Богородица Троеручица" е от ХVІ век.
Черквата е един от добрите примери за поствъзрожденската църковна архитектура създавана от Радомирския строителен център.
Белащенският манастир Свети Георги Победоносец, 1996
История и архитектура на средновековния и възрожденски Белащенски манастир до село Белащица, Плов... more История и архитектура на средновековния и възрожденски Белащенски манастир до село Белащица, Пловдив. Авторът установява, че при възстановителни работи от 30-те години на ХІХ век, те са съсредоточени главно при наоса, докато притвора е оставен в средновековния си масивно засводен оригинал от ХІ - ХІІ век. Събраните на място през 1973 година сведения от очевидци и издирените документи, доказват, че през първите десетилетия на ХХ век, в наоса на храма поради гръцките надписи са били замазани стенописи от Захарий Зограф, а в притвора по същия начин са закрити средновековните стенописи. До сега обаче, всичките те, независимо от появата на тази статия, си остават в неизвестност и поради това не са предприемани действия по разкриването и реставрирането им.
Архитектура на ханове/страноприемниците от периода ХVІІІ-ХІХ век, от българското етническо землище.
Османски мензилханета, кервансараи, ханове по Цариградския друм от София до Пловдив, 2022
Подробно се разглежда историята и архитектурата на османските крайпътни обекти от различни типоло... more Подробно се разглежда историята и архитектурата на османските крайпътни обекти от различни типологии, служещи като пътни станции и други места за пребиваване на пътуващите, от периода ХV - ХІХ век. Паралено с това се прави подробен анализ и на Чохаджийския хан в София, като се доказва че той е построен около средата на ХІІІ век, като доходоносен обект на софийската черква "Св. Никола Стари". Типологията му се анализира паралелно на две други доосмански страноприемници съответно от Солун и Константинопол и се доказва че пловдивския "Куршум хан" е построен по същата сложна схема. Студията е богато илюстрирана, включително с непубликувани до сега изображения по темата.

Странджанската възрожденска къща, 1984
Студията е написана въз основа на три експедиционни проучвания и архитектурни заснемания на автор... more Студията е написана въз основа на три експедиционни проучвания и архитектурни заснемания на автора из територията на българската част от Странджа планина в периода от 1974 до 1980 година. Част от заснеманията са с екип от студенти от Архитектурната секция на НЕК-Юнеско. Изследванията са проведени върху цялата територия на Българска Странджа, включително и в зоната на граничния кльон и включваха и заснемания на култовата архитектура в селата и тяхните землища.
Успях да събера и сведения за десетки майстори от района на Малкотърновско и Централна Стара планина, главно от Тревненско, които са работили из цялата тази територия от Черноморското крайбрежие до Сакар и от Лозенградско до Тракйската низина. Някои от тях работят в Истанбул и из селищата около Босфора. Например малкотърновския първомайстор Панаьот работил в столицата въвежда в Малко Търново типологията "Черноморска къща".
Установих че по отношение на жилищната архитектура в този регион се строят два функционални типа амфиладна странджанска талпено-спонцова къща - Източен (Малкотърновски) и Западен (Факийски), В края на ХІХ - началото на ХХ век в западната половина на планината се появяват тревненски и дряновски майстори, които внасят типичния за Стара планина двуетажен верижен тип къща, а в източната половина малкотърновските майстори започват да строят освен по крайбрежието и във вътрешността образци на Черноморската фахверкова къща с дъсчени фасадни облицовки. Всичко това е разработено с конкретни примери (доста от които вече несъществуват). През 1980 година по идея на председателя на НЕК д-р Стефан Пейков, предложих село Бръшлян да се регистрира като архитектурно-исторически резерват и като научен ръководител на екип студенти от НЕК осъществихме пълно проучване и документиране на селото с неговите запазени къщи от ХVІІ - началото на ХХ век и оригиналния му застроителен план към началото на ХХ век.

Мостостроителството е сред най-древните човешки материални културни постижения. Присъщо още от др... more Мостостроителството е сред най-древните човешки материални културни постижения. Присъщо още от древността за населението във всички цивилизоващи се географски територии на Земята, то естествено е оставило многобройни археологически следи и съхранени образци, които са били обект на изследване от столетия насам.
Но мостовете са вълнували съзнанието на хората, не само като пътища за преминаване през опасни води, или като утилитарни конструкции и естетика на архитектурни форми, но и като идейни послания пренасящи във времето древни легенди и вярвания, а и подсъзнателното чувство, че премостват своеобразни духовни брегове, отвъдния от които крие нещо ново и непознато. Не случайно понятието мост се използва в човешката лексика за обозначаване и на неща и явления стоящи далече от материалния свят.
За двете същности на мостовете – физическа и духовна са изписани стотици хиляди научни и научно-популярни страници, на всички човешки писмени езици. Изследвани са като конструкции, архитектурен образ, митология, семантика. Проучвани са археологически, архитектурно, инженерно, изскуствоведчески, етнографски, математически и от каква ли още не научна гледна точка. Вписвани са в познанието чрез ярки, запомнящи се художествени образи, със средствата на изобразителните изкуства и литературните форми.
В тази първа част от тритомния труд върху мостовете, още в началото на І глава се разглеждат семантично посочените по-горе въпроси в тяхната битност на материалното и духовното нива.
Павел Йоанович, Първомайсторът от българският юг, 1999
Статията разглежда някои страни от живота и творчеството на най-големият църковен строител от Изт... more Статията разглежда някои страни от живота и творчеството на най-големият църковен строител от Източната половина на Балканският полуостров от края на ХVІІІ и първите десетилетия на ХІХ век, Павел Йоанович от село Кримин, Костурско. Автор на съборните храмове на няколко от Атонските манастири, в това число и на Зографския, както и на Рилския манастир.
История и архитектура на ансамбъла на черквата "Св. Николай" (1834 - 1880), дело на архитектон Ни... more История и архитектура на ансамбъла на черквата "Св. Николай" (1834 - 1880), дело на архитектон Никола Фичев и носител на знакова за града, региона и България история..Текста е илюстриран с авторски чертежи и снимки.
Uploads
Papers by Nikolay Николай Tuleshkov Тулешков
The most significant of the three main state road tracks of the Ottoman Empire in Europe, since the annexation of the Eastern Balkans, was, after centuries, once again the ancient military highway Via Militaris. Under the name Tsarigradski Drum (Turkish: Stambol Yolu), it connected the newly conquered territories with the central parts of the continent. Since this road led westward in the direction of the Ottoman expansionist ambitions, it began to be systematically improved with a network of road stations (menzilhanes) and infrastructure, primarily bridges. This sustained administrative activity became particularly intense at the beginning of the 16th century and reached its peak around the middle of the century. Even the chief imperial architects were directly involved in implementing the planned construction projects. Thus, the great imperial chief architect (mimar) Sinan bin Abdullah built several of the most significant bridges along this route. Among the largest were those in present-day Istanbul (in the Büyükçekmece district) and Svilengrad.
According to Sinan’s biographer, Sai Mustafa Çelebi, Sinan himself listed a total of ten bridges as his own work. Any other bridges attributed to him in scholarly literature are unsubstantiated, as he did not mention them to his biographer. Furthermore, even his smallest architectural works—such as fountains, mausoleums, and other structures—are meticulously documented. The Svilengrad Bridge is unquestionably one of his works. It is listed as the third of his eight stone bridges under the name “Over the Maritsa River, Mustafa Pasha Bridge” (Meriç Suyi üzerinde Mustafâ Paşa Köprüsi), and it appears twice more in the text.
As recorded in the inscription (kitabe) on the Svilengrad Bridge, mounted on a large tarih (measuring 6 meters high and 4.4 meters wide) at the center of the structure, construction was completed in the year 935 of the Hijra (1528/9). However, given the scale of the bridge (295 meters in length and up to 6.3 meters in width), as well as the difficult marshy terrain, which made construction challenging, it is estimated that the building process lasted at least two or even three years, with a documented temporary halt. The article examines aspects of Sinan’s military and architectural practices to more precisely determine the construction period, concluding that it spanned from approximately 1526/7 to 1528/9. A hypothesis is proposed that Sinan may have completed or rebuilt an earlier unfinished structure. This previous construction effort could have been initiated by the then-chief imperial architect, Acem Ali bin Abdülkerim, a Janissary of Safavid (Persian) origin, who held the position from around 1521/2 until his death in 1538/9. The hypothesis suggests that Sinan reconstructed the bridge on the old foundations. A similar case is seen with the “Gatekeeper’s Bridge” (Kapı Ağası Köprüsü, today Harâmidere Köprüsü) over the Haramidere stream in what is now the Beylikdüzü district of Istanbul. This bridge, originally Roman from the 6th century, was restored between the 9th and 13th centuries and later rebuilt by Sinan, mainly in its central sections.
The Svilengrad Bridge is examined in the context of its descriptions and measurements recorded by various Western European scholars and diplomats between the 16th and 19th centuries. According to local historian Mihail Popnikolov’s research, the riverbed between the two abutments was reinforced with a “30-meter-wide strip upstream and a 50-meter-wide layer of small stones placed on solid ground, covered with large stone blocks secured with iron clamps and bonded with lead”.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the bridge suffered serious damage due to a severe flood. British writer John Galt, in his 1809 travel diary, noted: "The Hebrus (Maritsa), which was recently crossed here by a magnificent stone bridge with 19 arches, suffered the collapse of some of its arches around two years ago (circa 1806/7) due to a flood, and now the bridge is in ruins." Photogrammetric analysis, however, indicates that five arches were actually destroyed, though one original arch remained intact. It is likely that two successive incidents caused this damage—one in 1766 and a more severe collapse in 1806/7. The first may have been a minor issue that was poorly repaired in 1790, leading to the subsequent major collapse. Records indicate that two dates were inscribed on the parapet’s stone plates: 1809–1812 and 1828–1829, signifying two successive repair efforts. The first might have involved the installation of a wooden deck or an unsuccessful stone reconstruction, while the second successfully restored the bridge to its present form.
As a result of these repairs, three fallen arches on one side were replaced by two large new arches resting on a broad support. On the opposite side, where two old arches had collapsed, a single larger arch was constructed, with its heels resting on two massive new abutments.
According to modern studies, the bridge is 295 meters long and approximately 6 meters wide, with 17 visible arches. However, because the 1828/9 repair replaced five collapsed arches with four of varying shapes, it can be inferred that the visible section corresponds to the original 18 arches. It is also known that some arches remain buried at both riverbanks. Designed in Sinan’s characteristic style, the bridge features sharply pointed cutwaters on the upstream side and multi-faceted ones on the downstream side. Both types are topped with tall pyramidal caps, which significantly improve the structure’s resistance to high waters—an element absent from Ottoman bridges of the 15th and early 16th centuries. This design innovation became more widespread only after Sinan established the Janissary architectural corps upon becoming chief imperial architect. Further research is needed on the origin of these elevated cutwaters, but it is highly likely that Sinan invented them during the construction of the Svilengrad Bridge. He later applied them to other bridges, such as his famous Büyükçekmece Bridge (in the present-day Büyükçekmece district of Istanbul, built between 1564 and 1567/8), the largest bridge of the Ottoman Empire.
Частта от този труд която се публикува тук, касае османските пътни станции (мензилханета), с тяхните кюлиета от Кервансараи, ханове, имарети и мостове, в участъка на "Цариградския друм" (средновековното наименование на "Виа Милитарис"), между Пълдин (Филипополис, дн. Пловдив) и Адрианополис (дн. Одрин, тур. Едирне).
Още от края на ХІХ век епредизвикал интерес сред европейските учени. Специален доклад за него е изнесен например в Мадрид от испанският географ Сатурнино Хименес, отбелязан е специално и от известния западноевропейски историк Феликс Каниц.В контекста на изследването са разгледани и други мостове от същото време дело на самият Никола Фичев и на арх. Генчо Кънев, който е участвал при строежа на Беленския мост, по време на неговото фундиране.
The bridge was located next to Ulpia Pautalia (now Kyustendil) and crossed the river Strymon (present-day Struma) in close proximity to a Roman road station. Around 1900, the historian Yordan Ivanov studied and measured the remains of the abutments of this bridge, and published the results in 1906 in one of his books.
According to this photographing, it is the five-arch construction typical of Roman bridges with two bank and four river abutments, with roadways that descended quite steeply to the two river banks from the top above the center of the middle arch. Its characteristic is unique with a width of 9m, and side arches of 12m. The only other bridge in Europe with such an anomaly is "Ponte Alconetar" over the Tegus River on the route of Via de la Plata, today in the Extremadura region of Spain, considered the work of the imperial architect of Trajan and Hadrian - the brilliant Syrian Apollodorus of Damascus. Since he was building the bridge over the Danube at the time when Emperor Trajan issued his decree declaring Pautalia a city, he most likely commissioned his architect to build some of his structures, including the bridge.
conquered new lands in South-Eastern Europe. As they needed a working road
infrastructure for their military plans, they continued taking care of the restoration
and construction of structures along the routes of utmost importance. Among these is
the Kady (Kadin) Bridge over the Struma River built in 1469/1470. It is believed to
have been built by the Islamized Christian Ishak Pasha, although the authorship
issue has not yet been resolved. Architecturally, the bridge utilizes several different
techniques uncharacteristic of the artisans of the time. The origin of the bridge has
yet to be discovered.
Освен това за десетилетията изминали от публикуването на тази статия, установих и публикувах няколко средновековни български еднопространствени страноприемници - в Калякра, Търново, Ловеч и пр.
Статията подробно изследва архитектурата на постройката давайки мотивирани заключения относно нейните типология и функционалност.
В статията автора публикува реконструктивен план на черквата изработен въз основа на негово архитектурно заснемане и изучаване на оригиналната структура.
В храма се съхранява владишкия трон изработен през 1819 година от архитектон (устабаши) Алекси Рилец за средновековната черква "Св. архан. Михаил". Иконостасните царски, а и част от останалите икони са дело на Никола Образописов от 1885 година, което е стрикно записано в неговия тефтер за поръчки ("Счетникъ"). От 1892 година работата е продължена от реканския зограф Алексо Василев от Галичник., като през същата година Василев изработва и редица дарствени стенописи. Поради лошото им състояние не стана ясно кой е автора на стенописите по фасадите и новите кубета, но въз основа на опитния рисунък и стилистиката на орнаментиката, това най-вероятно е самоковски зограф.
В храма се съхраняваха и икони от средновековния градски храм, като една от тях принадлежала на иконостаса му, е датирана в 1717 година. Друга вградена в проскенетарий-"Св. Богородица Троеручица" е от ХVІ век.
Черквата е един от добрите примери за поствъзрожденската църковна архитектура създавана от Радомирския строителен център.
Успях да събера и сведения за десетки майстори от района на Малкотърновско и Централна Стара планина, главно от Тревненско, които са работили из цялата тази територия от Черноморското крайбрежие до Сакар и от Лозенградско до Тракйската низина. Някои от тях работят в Истанбул и из селищата около Босфора. Например малкотърновския първомайстор Панаьот работил в столицата въвежда в Малко Търново типологията "Черноморска къща".
Установих че по отношение на жилищната архитектура в този регион се строят два функционални типа амфиладна странджанска талпено-спонцова къща - Източен (Малкотърновски) и Западен (Факийски), В края на ХІХ - началото на ХХ век в западната половина на планината се появяват тревненски и дряновски майстори, които внасят типичния за Стара планина двуетажен верижен тип къща, а в източната половина малкотърновските майстори започват да строят освен по крайбрежието и във вътрешността образци на Черноморската фахверкова къща с дъсчени фасадни облицовки. Всичко това е разработено с конкретни примери (доста от които вече несъществуват). През 1980 година по идея на председателя на НЕК д-р Стефан Пейков, предложих село Бръшлян да се регистрира като архитектурно-исторически резерват и като научен ръководител на екип студенти от НЕК осъществихме пълно проучване и документиране на селото с неговите запазени къщи от ХVІІ - началото на ХХ век и оригиналния му застроителен план към началото на ХХ век.
Но мостовете са вълнували съзнанието на хората, не само като пътища за преминаване през опасни води, или като утилитарни конструкции и естетика на архитектурни форми, но и като идейни послания пренасящи във времето древни легенди и вярвания, а и подсъзнателното чувство, че премостват своеобразни духовни брегове, отвъдния от които крие нещо ново и непознато. Не случайно понятието мост се използва в човешката лексика за обозначаване и на неща и явления стоящи далече от материалния свят.
За двете същности на мостовете – физическа и духовна са изписани стотици хиляди научни и научно-популярни страници, на всички човешки писмени езици. Изследвани са като конструкции, архитектурен образ, митология, семантика. Проучвани са археологически, архитектурно, инженерно, изскуствоведчески, етнографски, математически и от каква ли още не научна гледна точка. Вписвани са в познанието чрез ярки, запомнящи се художествени образи, със средствата на изобразителните изкуства и литературните форми.
В тази първа част от тритомния труд върху мостовете, още в началото на І глава се разглеждат семантично посочените по-горе въпроси в тяхната битност на материалното и духовното нива.
The most significant of the three main state road tracks of the Ottoman Empire in Europe, since the annexation of the Eastern Balkans, was, after centuries, once again the ancient military highway Via Militaris. Under the name Tsarigradski Drum (Turkish: Stambol Yolu), it connected the newly conquered territories with the central parts of the continent. Since this road led westward in the direction of the Ottoman expansionist ambitions, it began to be systematically improved with a network of road stations (menzilhanes) and infrastructure, primarily bridges. This sustained administrative activity became particularly intense at the beginning of the 16th century and reached its peak around the middle of the century. Even the chief imperial architects were directly involved in implementing the planned construction projects. Thus, the great imperial chief architect (mimar) Sinan bin Abdullah built several of the most significant bridges along this route. Among the largest were those in present-day Istanbul (in the Büyükçekmece district) and Svilengrad.
According to Sinan’s biographer, Sai Mustafa Çelebi, Sinan himself listed a total of ten bridges as his own work. Any other bridges attributed to him in scholarly literature are unsubstantiated, as he did not mention them to his biographer. Furthermore, even his smallest architectural works—such as fountains, mausoleums, and other structures—are meticulously documented. The Svilengrad Bridge is unquestionably one of his works. It is listed as the third of his eight stone bridges under the name “Over the Maritsa River, Mustafa Pasha Bridge” (Meriç Suyi üzerinde Mustafâ Paşa Köprüsi), and it appears twice more in the text.
As recorded in the inscription (kitabe) on the Svilengrad Bridge, mounted on a large tarih (measuring 6 meters high and 4.4 meters wide) at the center of the structure, construction was completed in the year 935 of the Hijra (1528/9). However, given the scale of the bridge (295 meters in length and up to 6.3 meters in width), as well as the difficult marshy terrain, which made construction challenging, it is estimated that the building process lasted at least two or even three years, with a documented temporary halt. The article examines aspects of Sinan’s military and architectural practices to more precisely determine the construction period, concluding that it spanned from approximately 1526/7 to 1528/9. A hypothesis is proposed that Sinan may have completed or rebuilt an earlier unfinished structure. This previous construction effort could have been initiated by the then-chief imperial architect, Acem Ali bin Abdülkerim, a Janissary of Safavid (Persian) origin, who held the position from around 1521/2 until his death in 1538/9. The hypothesis suggests that Sinan reconstructed the bridge on the old foundations. A similar case is seen with the “Gatekeeper’s Bridge” (Kapı Ağası Köprüsü, today Harâmidere Köprüsü) over the Haramidere stream in what is now the Beylikdüzü district of Istanbul. This bridge, originally Roman from the 6th century, was restored between the 9th and 13th centuries and later rebuilt by Sinan, mainly in its central sections.
The Svilengrad Bridge is examined in the context of its descriptions and measurements recorded by various Western European scholars and diplomats between the 16th and 19th centuries. According to local historian Mihail Popnikolov’s research, the riverbed between the two abutments was reinforced with a “30-meter-wide strip upstream and a 50-meter-wide layer of small stones placed on solid ground, covered with large stone blocks secured with iron clamps and bonded with lead”.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the bridge suffered serious damage due to a severe flood. British writer John Galt, in his 1809 travel diary, noted: "The Hebrus (Maritsa), which was recently crossed here by a magnificent stone bridge with 19 arches, suffered the collapse of some of its arches around two years ago (circa 1806/7) due to a flood, and now the bridge is in ruins." Photogrammetric analysis, however, indicates that five arches were actually destroyed, though one original arch remained intact. It is likely that two successive incidents caused this damage—one in 1766 and a more severe collapse in 1806/7. The first may have been a minor issue that was poorly repaired in 1790, leading to the subsequent major collapse. Records indicate that two dates were inscribed on the parapet’s stone plates: 1809–1812 and 1828–1829, signifying two successive repair efforts. The first might have involved the installation of a wooden deck or an unsuccessful stone reconstruction, while the second successfully restored the bridge to its present form.
As a result of these repairs, three fallen arches on one side were replaced by two large new arches resting on a broad support. On the opposite side, where two old arches had collapsed, a single larger arch was constructed, with its heels resting on two massive new abutments.
According to modern studies, the bridge is 295 meters long and approximately 6 meters wide, with 17 visible arches. However, because the 1828/9 repair replaced five collapsed arches with four of varying shapes, it can be inferred that the visible section corresponds to the original 18 arches. It is also known that some arches remain buried at both riverbanks. Designed in Sinan’s characteristic style, the bridge features sharply pointed cutwaters on the upstream side and multi-faceted ones on the downstream side. Both types are topped with tall pyramidal caps, which significantly improve the structure’s resistance to high waters—an element absent from Ottoman bridges of the 15th and early 16th centuries. This design innovation became more widespread only after Sinan established the Janissary architectural corps upon becoming chief imperial architect. Further research is needed on the origin of these elevated cutwaters, but it is highly likely that Sinan invented them during the construction of the Svilengrad Bridge. He later applied them to other bridges, such as his famous Büyükçekmece Bridge (in the present-day Büyükçekmece district of Istanbul, built between 1564 and 1567/8), the largest bridge of the Ottoman Empire.
Частта от този труд която се публикува тук, касае османските пътни станции (мензилханета), с тяхните кюлиета от Кервансараи, ханове, имарети и мостове, в участъка на "Цариградския друм" (средновековното наименование на "Виа Милитарис"), между Пълдин (Филипополис, дн. Пловдив) и Адрианополис (дн. Одрин, тур. Едирне).
Още от края на ХІХ век епредизвикал интерес сред европейските учени. Специален доклад за него е изнесен например в Мадрид от испанският географ Сатурнино Хименес, отбелязан е специално и от известния западноевропейски историк Феликс Каниц.В контекста на изследването са разгледани и други мостове от същото време дело на самият Никола Фичев и на арх. Генчо Кънев, който е участвал при строежа на Беленския мост, по време на неговото фундиране.
The bridge was located next to Ulpia Pautalia (now Kyustendil) and crossed the river Strymon (present-day Struma) in close proximity to a Roman road station. Around 1900, the historian Yordan Ivanov studied and measured the remains of the abutments of this bridge, and published the results in 1906 in one of his books.
According to this photographing, it is the five-arch construction typical of Roman bridges with two bank and four river abutments, with roadways that descended quite steeply to the two river banks from the top above the center of the middle arch. Its characteristic is unique with a width of 9m, and side arches of 12m. The only other bridge in Europe with such an anomaly is "Ponte Alconetar" over the Tegus River on the route of Via de la Plata, today in the Extremadura region of Spain, considered the work of the imperial architect of Trajan and Hadrian - the brilliant Syrian Apollodorus of Damascus. Since he was building the bridge over the Danube at the time when Emperor Trajan issued his decree declaring Pautalia a city, he most likely commissioned his architect to build some of his structures, including the bridge.
conquered new lands in South-Eastern Europe. As they needed a working road
infrastructure for their military plans, they continued taking care of the restoration
and construction of structures along the routes of utmost importance. Among these is
the Kady (Kadin) Bridge over the Struma River built in 1469/1470. It is believed to
have been built by the Islamized Christian Ishak Pasha, although the authorship
issue has not yet been resolved. Architecturally, the bridge utilizes several different
techniques uncharacteristic of the artisans of the time. The origin of the bridge has
yet to be discovered.
Освен това за десетилетията изминали от публикуването на тази статия, установих и публикувах няколко средновековни български еднопространствени страноприемници - в Калякра, Търново, Ловеч и пр.
Статията подробно изследва архитектурата на постройката давайки мотивирани заключения относно нейните типология и функционалност.
В статията автора публикува реконструктивен план на черквата изработен въз основа на негово архитектурно заснемане и изучаване на оригиналната структура.
В храма се съхранява владишкия трон изработен през 1819 година от архитектон (устабаши) Алекси Рилец за средновековната черква "Св. архан. Михаил". Иконостасните царски, а и част от останалите икони са дело на Никола Образописов от 1885 година, което е стрикно записано в неговия тефтер за поръчки ("Счетникъ"). От 1892 година работата е продължена от реканския зограф Алексо Василев от Галичник., като през същата година Василев изработва и редица дарствени стенописи. Поради лошото им състояние не стана ясно кой е автора на стенописите по фасадите и новите кубета, но въз основа на опитния рисунък и стилистиката на орнаментиката, това най-вероятно е самоковски зограф.
В храма се съхраняваха и икони от средновековния градски храм, като една от тях принадлежала на иконостаса му, е датирана в 1717 година. Друга вградена в проскенетарий-"Св. Богородица Троеручица" е от ХVІ век.
Черквата е един от добрите примери за поствъзрожденската църковна архитектура създавана от Радомирския строителен център.
Успях да събера и сведения за десетки майстори от района на Малкотърновско и Централна Стара планина, главно от Тревненско, които са работили из цялата тази територия от Черноморското крайбрежие до Сакар и от Лозенградско до Тракйската низина. Някои от тях работят в Истанбул и из селищата около Босфора. Например малкотърновския първомайстор Панаьот работил в столицата въвежда в Малко Търново типологията "Черноморска къща".
Установих че по отношение на жилищната архитектура в този регион се строят два функционални типа амфиладна странджанска талпено-спонцова къща - Източен (Малкотърновски) и Западен (Факийски), В края на ХІХ - началото на ХХ век в западната половина на планината се появяват тревненски и дряновски майстори, които внасят типичния за Стара планина двуетажен верижен тип къща, а в източната половина малкотърновските майстори започват да строят освен по крайбрежието и във вътрешността образци на Черноморската фахверкова къща с дъсчени фасадни облицовки. Всичко това е разработено с конкретни примери (доста от които вече несъществуват). През 1980 година по идея на председателя на НЕК д-р Стефан Пейков, предложих село Бръшлян да се регистрира като архитектурно-исторически резерват и като научен ръководител на екип студенти от НЕК осъществихме пълно проучване и документиране на селото с неговите запазени къщи от ХVІІ - началото на ХХ век и оригиналния му застроителен план към началото на ХХ век.
Но мостовете са вълнували съзнанието на хората, не само като пътища за преминаване през опасни води, или като утилитарни конструкции и естетика на архитектурни форми, но и като идейни послания пренасящи във времето древни легенди и вярвания, а и подсъзнателното чувство, че премостват своеобразни духовни брегове, отвъдния от които крие нещо ново и непознато. Не случайно понятието мост се използва в човешката лексика за обозначаване и на неща и явления стоящи далече от материалния свят.
За двете същности на мостовете – физическа и духовна са изписани стотици хиляди научни и научно-популярни страници, на всички човешки писмени езици. Изследвани са като конструкции, архитектурен образ, митология, семантика. Проучвани са археологически, архитектурно, инженерно, изскуствоведчески, етнографски, математически и от каква ли още не научна гледна точка. Вписвани са в познанието чрез ярки, запомнящи се художествени образи, със средствата на изобразителните изкуства и литературните форми.
В тази първа част от тритомния труд върху мостовете, още в началото на І глава се разглеждат семантично посочените по-горе въпроси в тяхната битност на материалното и духовното нива.
According to the Northern Black Sea Port Law (Chapter 36) of Sultan Suleiman I Canouni (1520 - 1566), the settlement, and possibly along with the port guard tower, still exists under the name Kesrich. This name is also found in other Ottoman documents from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. According to the Dubrovnik trade documents from 1581 and 1584, there were even merchants living in “Kastrica”.
In the nineteenth century, the ruins of the fortress wall were still clearly defined, which is why the area, because of the characteristic large forked rock entering from the cape of St. Yani into the sea, bore the Turkish name "Chatal Tash Kalesi" ("Rocky Chatal Fortress"). And in Greek the cape is also called "Ayia Yani Kalesi", ie. St Yani's Fort (John).
In 1899, Karel Shkorpil conducted the first exploration of the ruins, drawing an sketch by eye of the fortress wall, measured in steps. However, the first real data about the structure of the medieval fortified city date back to the period 2004 - 2013, when excavations are conducted annually under the direction of Prof. Dr. Valentin Pletnyov, director of the Varna Museum. They continue to this day, and after the unexpected death of Pletnyov are taken over by his successor, Dr. Igor Lazarenko.
At present, most of the territory of the fortified city, where the major part is the port district, has been discovered. The author of the article analyzes the results of the excavations and on the basis of them and the plan sketched by Shkorpil makes architectural analysis and restorations - theoretical, planned and through
visualizations. They determine the parameters of the fortress system, the port
tower, the five large excavated so far inns, workshops, shops, the small port
monastery. On the basis of the archaeological remains of the construction
materials found, he considers that the buildings in no small part were twostoreyed
made entirely out of stone buildings, or timber framed in the upper
floors and completed with wooden roof structures with plank coverings. Only
the monastery church was covered with thin aspid slabs, stepping on a wooden
structure. The walls of the timber framed structures are shaped with a knit,
thickly coated on both sides with clay. The stairs to the upper floors of the twostory
buildings were made out of stone or wood.
The author of the article is the chief designer of a restoration project, which is
partially presented, with theoretical justification of the concept and studied
parallels.
It should be emphasized that Kastritsi is the only more comprehensively
preserved and studied Bulgarian urban development example for a medieval
port city, with clean functionality and a wide variety of different typologies of
commercial, industrial, public, church and residential buildings, created and
existing between XII and XVI century.